Saturday, February 27, 2010

"How do I change my eating habits?"

"Bobby, I have always been very active, yet I have never really eaten right. Now, as my body has aged (mid 40’s), I am finding that things are working as they used to and like a light switch realize I need to change things.My question to you Bobby is, How? How do I change my eating habits. It’s not as easy as just picking the right foods and eating them. What foods are best for what time of the day? Vegetables, meats, fruits? What foods will help me with my exercising and weight lifting? At age 46, what weights do I need to use and how should I use them to make sure I don’t lose muscle mass and bone density. I hope this isn’t too much but you asked. Lol!"

BobbyM:

GREAT QUESTION! (And thanks so much for sharing!)

I've found that the best way to change eating habits is to start small. Making smaller choices makes it simpler, less challenging, and are much easier to live with for the long run. Little changes like cutting back on sugar, and fat intake...read your food labels and make healthier choices between foods with lower sugar and fat levels than what you would normally choose. For example, by choosing 98% fat free sandwich meats...lower fat cheese, milk, salad dressings, etc. Choosing a cereal that maybe has only 2-5 grams of sugar rather than 15, 20, or more. Also choosing 100% whole grain breads and pastas rather than the old standard white breads and pastas. Etc, etc.

A really great place to start is http://www.acefitness.org/calculators/daily-caloric-needs-calculator.aspx this site will give you an estimate of the calories you need each day. Break that down into 3 meals, plus 2-3 snacks...for example, if the daily calorie requirements are 1,800...I would break it down to around 400 kcals per meal (total 1,200) and 200 kcals per snack (total of 600) for a grand total of 1,800 per day.

Try to have about 1/2 your calories from "good" carbohydrates...green vegetables, fruits, whole grains, dark rice, etc. And about 1/3 of your total calories from low fat protein...meats (fish, chicken, pork, beef, turkey, etc), dairy products, or eggs. The rest of the calories can come from fats/oil, but try to limit those to the healthier fats such as olive, kanola, oils...and try to add in some healthy omega3 oils that you can get from nuts like almonds, pecans, and walnuts (these nuts are also great snack sources...and are about 1/2 carbs and 1/2 protein.. with the good oils...but full of calories so don't overdo it!).

What you end up with is REALLY healthy "high-test" fuel in your body ALL DAY LONG...that way you really don't have to be concerned about what to eat for specific activiities...your body will have what it needs, whenever it needs it...and will begin to stop storing up "fuel" in those areas of the body where we don't want it.

I'll try to answer you "weights" questions at another time. :-) BobbyM

No comments: